Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Planning Begins...

I'm beginning to work out our school schedule for next year. Sigh. (Didn't summer just start?)


This will be my first year officially teaching all 4 of my children. Years ago, I made a chart that showed what grades I would be teaching thoughout my homeschool years. Out of my possible 21 years of homeschooling, (IF my kids homeschooled through high school), only 5 of those years will incorporate all 4 children. I hate to get nostalgic, but really, only 5 years all together? I need to make the best of this time. These are the years I will want them to remember.

That has to be my first thought as I begin to plan out the logistics of teaching 4 different grades and running a daycare. What do I want them to really remember? What do I want them to learn?

Saxon Math and Apologia Science are great and all, but is that what kids remember about schooling?


Back when I was teaching only my two eldest, we used Konos Character Unit studies. Those two still talk about making a model of an eardrum out of couch cushions and the medieval feast we had for family and friends. Good times.

So what is it that I want them to learn and to keep in their hearts? I want them to remember how exciting it was to learn and figure something out. I want them to remember that, "Hey I can do this!" feeling so they can use it to conquer other things in life. I want them to be amazed and humbled by the complexity and vastness of God's creation. I want them to wonder more about God and try to understand His ways. I want them to be curious.


Yes, I want them to be well educated in the required subjects, but as I plan the year, I need to make sure I include many of those memorable things that will direct them to the track we are aiming for. I'm not yet sure how I will do it; in fact, I'm quite sure that this task is far more than I can handle on my own. But I know I am not on this journey alone and I know God wants His best for my children even more than I do. He will provide the wisdom, strength and the discernment I need to pull together a year that will sharpen the minds and intrigue the souls of my children. It begins with prayer and takes root with lots of planning. It's not easy, but the great things rarely are.


Have fun planning!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Jane! Love your post and you are correct, with the Lord you will be able to accomplish it. =o)Love, Sheila

Andra said...

We are taking a more- themed approach this year. My goal this year is to remember I am Mom first, something I tend to lose to "task-master."

Michelle @Italian Mama Chef said...

I missed some of the best years of the boys' schooling but now that we are back to it, I am excited to make it memorable. I've been planning and feel like we can't start soon enough but I want to enjoy what is left of summer. Great writing and good thoughts, thanks for sharing.