Friday, September 9, 2011

Remember

At dinner tonight our conversation turned toward 9-11 and what happened 10 years ago. I found myself sharing with my children my memories and emotions of that day. They listened intently as I told them about how that day started as a beautiful September morning. I had been getting Jenna (my three and a half year old) ready for her 1st day of preschool and feeding her baby brother. I had turned on the TV to hear the weather, and from the next room, noticed confusion and worry in the voice of Katie Couric. I recalled for them the sinking feeling of knowing something was very, very wrong and that the world had changed in a single moment. I told them all I remembered, and they sat captivated.
I told them of the heroes of Flight 93, and how one of them was Todd Beamer, a man we had gone to college with.
We remembered.

I hope you get to remember with your children this weekend.

"The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit. Instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic, and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives in freedom." -Rudolph Giuliani, former mayor of NYC

No comments: