Monday, April 2, 2012

What God has Purposed

Has anyone called you a control freak? I prefer to think of it as being a willing decision maker. Moms make tons of decisions that effect the others in our home all day long. What’s for breakfast, what chores need done, who’s allowed to do what, who gets punished and how…the list goes on and on and on. The important decisions are made with your spouse, and together as a team you have established most of the order of your home. But still, think about how many decisions you make each day for your family. It’s mind blowing. 

Sometimes I think that if I can perfectly control what is in my grasp to control, then God will be able to work out the rest. If I get my kids in the right activities, use the right curriculum, give them the right amount of responsibility…then…then they will walk in God’s will and clearly decipher His plan for their lives. If I can carry out my will, then God will be able to carry out His. Incredibly. Flawed.  Thinking.  

This is the same wrong mindset that let’s us think that one wrong move on our part will forever mess up our kids. Or one wrong curriculum will mess up their education.

No. We cannot mess up what God has purposed. We have nothing to boast about. No decision we make can mess up God’s plan. No decision your husband makes can mess up God’s plan. God always has a back up. He is NOT counting on you. Isn’t that a relief? 

It is for me because, quite frankly, I am full of flaws. If God’s plan really did rest on me, then watch out because I’ve already dropped the ball in a dozen ways since lunch.  

He doesn’t need us. We need Him and THAT is always the order of things.  

But how does that work? Does anything we do have any consequence, any meaning? Of course. Everything we do has consequences (good and bad) – but what we do cannot thwart God’s purpose.  

Our purpose remains the same. Bring glory to God. We were made by Him, for Him. He desires to use you to fulfill His purpose in the lives of those around you. It’s all Him…he enables you, gives you strength and wisdom…you have nothing to boast about. It’s not about you.

And that can be hard for a control freak to remember.

No comments: