Tuesday, July 3, 2012

What's Your Superpower?

Currently, my kids are all about The Avengers. They are making up sequels, creating costumes, and constantly debating which character they would most like to be. Some may say that it's a frivolous use of summer hours. Not me. Anything that engages the active imagination and spurs creativity in children is okay in my book. They have made Thor's hammer out of a box and duct tape. Captain Americas shield was created with a plastic lid and paper and markers. They make up endless stories of good conquering evil, of bad guy powers that get overcome by the strength of the heroes. Imaginations are an amazing gift. Sometimes, however, the more reality we have to deal with, the more our creative imagination can get squeezed out. This is true for me. The longer my to-do list is, the less likely I am to sit and help Thor save the Barbies from the evil dragon monster. Even though my things may be urgent and important, so is being a part of my child's world. Note to self: Don't miss out on the real summer fun. Discover your superpower and dive into some play with your kids.

No comments: